Test prep starts now. Technically, we are preparing for “the big test” all year with an extra push in the weeks leading up. The content is rarely the issue. It’s an issue with process skills, inference, and scientific reasoning.
Here’s what we are doing to get ready for “the big test” in November and December.
– Multiple choice questions during each unit using Numbered Heads Together
– Teaching the SUPER Science Strategy to students who would benefit
– Using more diagrams that students must interpret to get them comfortable diagrams of things they have not seen in real life
– Interpreting and analyzing data from tables to draw reasonable conclusions
– Using Super Science Test Prep Lessons to build stamina with short informational science text, become more familiar with nonfiction text features, and answer rigorous questions using test-taking strategies
– Going over weekly quizzes to determine where mistakes may have been made in understanding the question
– Using the scientific method during each unit
Want more information on 5th Grade Science STAAR? Learn more here!